Professional Development Tools
Online Resources to Support Planning in Mathematics Instruction
These web-based resources provide additional resources and support for teachers as they move through the process of planning performance tasks in mathematics.
- Common Core State Standards for Mathematics: The Common Core State Standards for Mathematics contain Standards for Mathematical Content and Standards for Mathematical Practice. The Standards for Mathematical Content define what students should understand and be able to do at each grade level as they progress through K–12 mathematics. The Standards for Mathematical Practice describe varieties of expertise that mathematics educators at all levels should seek to develop in their students.
- Key Shifts in Mathematics: On their website, the Common Core State Standards Initiative lays out the three main shifts in the focus of mathematics that educators need to understand in order to provide effective instruction under the Common Core State Standards.
- Illustrative Mathematics: This website provides examples of tasks for grades K–12. The site organizes tasks (some with accompanying classroom video) by grade level, content domain, and mathematical practices.
- Inside Mathematics: This website provides several examples of grade-level formative performance assessment tasks with accompanying scoring rubrics, discussion of student work samples, and some classroom video.
- Mathematics Assessment Project: This website provides well-engineered formative and summative assessment tools for grades 6–12 that expose students’ knowledge and reasoning in mathematics, helping teachers guide them towards improvement and monitor progress.